I realize that this is a grillin website but the Grillin Fools do more than just grill and at this time of year where we have all manner of holiday parties I thought I would share my Hot Buttered Rum recipe. Wanna be a rock star at one of these parties? Then try this. Sorry no pics of the process, but it so easy you won’t need them…
This is the perfect Holiday drink. I think this is the drink equivalent to comfort food. It’s a comfort drink. The fact that the drink is warmed plus the rum just warms the body all over.
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients:
- 2 cups of firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cups rum (more if you like)
- Topping: Whipped cream, ground nutmeg
Hot Buttered Rum Directions:
- Put all ingredients (except rum and topping) in a crock pot.
- Stir well to dissolve sugar.
- Set crock on low for 5 hours – stirring a few times throughout the process.
- After 5 hours add the rum. If you add the rum at the beginning most of the alcohol will evaporate out. If you are going for a more virgin cocktail this might be the way to go but you will not evaporate out all of the alcohol so keep that in mind.
- At this point just stir in the rum and get the mixture back up to heat.
- Use a ladle to put the Hot Buttered Rum into cups, add a dollop of whipped cream and grate some fresh nutmeg onto the whipped cream. An extra stick of cinnamon in each cup is a nice touch too.
I’m telling you, if you take this to a holiday party you will be loved and adored by your friends and relatives. And if you serve this at a holiday party you are hosting your entire place will just ooze with the scent of the holiday season. This is better than any holiday potpourri on the market. And after a couple of these you won’t feel like an idiot with a bow stuck to your head:
If you have any questions feel free to comment below or email me.