This is one of my favorite compound butters. It’s got a little smoky heat from the chipotle seasoning and that lovely onion from the chives. A bit of chili powder rounds out this Chipotle and Chive Compound Butter that makes a wonderful addition to steak, burgers, and all sorts of other proteins. If chipotle or chives aren’t you your thing, you could try this Sweet Chili Compound Butter or Garlic and Herb Butter.
Chipotle and Chive Compound Butter Ingredients
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 sheet of parchment paper or wax paper or plastic wrap
How to Make Chipotle and Chive Compound Butter
To begin, put the stick of butter in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften
Then mince the fresh chives:
Add the butter to a mixing bowl:
Next, grab the chipotle seasoning, which in this case is one of these grinder jars of chipotle:
The great thing about these grinders is they ingredients inside stay fresh for an incredibly long period of time, because as soon as they pass through the grinder, the ingredients are cracked open and the natural aromatics and flavors are released.
Then add the chives:
And yeah, I started mixing the chives and chipotle through the butter before I added the chili powder:
Mix everything through with a spoon:
Then lay down a sheet of parchment or wax paper or a section of plastic wrap and scoop the butter onto the it and roll it up like a big piece of candy:
Place the chipotle and chive compound butter in the fridge where it will keep for weeks or in the freezer where it will keep for months. Cook up a mean steak and then grab a pat of this flavor packed butter to use as a steak topper:
Here are a few shots from the steak cook and of course those wonderful sliced pics:
How good was that steak and this butter? I think this pic sums it up:
Compound Butter Recap
A simple steak, seasoned by salt and pepper, reverse seared and then topped with a pat of this chipotle and chive compound butter is just about as good as it gets. Seriously. Give the finishing butter a chance. It doesn’t take much.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below or send me an email.
Chipotle and Chive Compound Butter
- 1 Sheet of parchment paper OR
- 1 Sheet of wax paper OR
- 1 Sheet of plastic wrap
- 1 stick Salted butter
- 1.5 tablespoons Fresh chives Minced
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder
- Soften the stick of the butter in the microwave for 10 seconds
- Add the butter to a large mixing bowl
- Mince the fresh chives and add to the mixing bowl
- Add the chipotle seasoning and chili powder to the bowl
- Mix the ingredients through the butter with a spoon
- Scoop the chipotle and chive compound butter onto a sheet of parchment or wax paper and roll into a large candy and refrigerate
- Apply a pat of the butter to a resting steak or into a pot of chili or soup or onto burgers.