Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese? Are you kidding me? No, my friend, I’m not. AND, I’m actually going to grill the grilled cheese, not fry it up in a pan. Well, actually, I’m going to smoke it. That’s right, I took the iconic grilled cheese, added bacon and THEN infused it with smoke. That’s OK, you can thank me later. Just don’t tell your cardiologist.
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese
4 slices Texas toast
4 slices of cheese
12 slices of bacon
Your favorite BBQ rub
As far as cheeses, about anything works, particularly mozzarella, havarti and muenster. I used muenster.
Place a couple slices of cheese between two pieces of Texas toast and then lay down three slices of bacon side by side on a cutting board:
Now place the cheese sandwich on the bacon with about an inch of the bacon sticking out one side like so:
Then lift up that inch of bacon and push it against the side of the sandwich:
Then throw the longer ends of the bacon over the top and drape the slices over the inch long pieces we just pushed up:
You could grill it just like this, but I went for maximum bacon exposure and doubled up the bacon. I put down three more slices of bacon to cover the two exposed sides of the soon to be grilled cheese sandwich:
Repeat the process of pushing up the bacon ends and then draping the longer ends over. Dust them with your favorite BBQ rub. Next, put the sandwiches in a 250 degree smoker:
After 30- minutes, my Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese sandwiches are staring to look pretty good:
After an hour, they have browned up nicely:
Time to pull them from the smoker:
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese can be rich, if you can’t tell by the pictures. I recommend cutting them into halves or even quarters and serve as appetizers:
Here’s a link that that gorgeous 8 inch Classic Deba Shun Knife if you are interested in updating your cutlery game.
I almost forgot that gratuitous, and obligatory, stretchy cheese shot:
There you have it – crunchy bacon, soft and smoky bread, gooey cheese. I’m not sure I need to explain these bacon wrapped grilled cheese anymore. If the pictures didn’t convince anyone, me rambling on will not change any minds.
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below or send me an email.
- 4 slices Texas toast
- 4 slices of cheese
- 12 slices of bacon
- Your favorite BBQ rub
- Place two slices of cheese between two slices of Texas toast
- Lay out three slices of bacon side by side
- Place the sandwich on the bacon with about an inch of bacon sticking out one side
- Flip up the inch long ends and then bring the long end over and drape over the short end
- Repeat for all three slices and then lay down three more slices and rotate the sandwich 90 degrees and repeat the draping of the bacon over the exposed sides of the sandwich
- Dust with your favorite BBQ rub
- Place the bacon wrapped grilled cheese on a 250 degree smoker until the bacon is brown (about an hour)
- Remove from the grill, slice and serve