***Editor’s Note ~ The mention of the Instagram feed in the lower right is not going to make sense as that plugin really wrecked the website on 7/23/2015. If we can get it to work, we will put it back up. Otherwise, if you want to see the IF feed, simply click the link and follow us on Instagram***
If you check out the lower right side of this website, you will see my Instagram feed. There you can find pretty much everything I grill (that doesn’t always make the website) as well as some pretty amazing shots I share from other BBQ enthusiasts. You can follow my Instagram feed directly without having to come to this website by clicking on that link. Why am I telling you this? Because recently I shared someone’s bacon wrapped meatballs on Instagram and someone else suggest that I wrap mushrooms with bacon and grill them. I was stumped as to why I hadn’t done that before. I hadn’t even thought of it. I love grilled mushrooms. I love anything wrapped in bacon. Why hadn’t I combined the two? And of course I had to tweak the recipe a bit and put my own touch on it.
Almond Stuffed, Bacon Wrapped Mushrooms
12 baby bella mushrooms (the brown, white cap mushrooms that vendors try to pretend are baby portabella mushrooms but are not ports at all) Substitute white button mushrooms
6 tsp brown sugar, divided
6 slices of bacon
First up, brush the dirt off the mushroom. Don’t wash it off. Mushrooms are sponges and will soak up the water, diluting the flavor. Then yank out the stems like below to make room for the almonds and brown sugar:
Next up, put a half teaspoon of brown sugar in each mushroom and top with a couple almonds:
Then, slice the six pieces of bacon in half, wrap each half slice around the almond stuffed mushrooms and skewer with a toothpick to keep the bacon in place:
Prepare the grill for medium heat and direct grilling. You read that right. I know what you’re thinking. Direct grilling and bacon? Better grab the hose, check the date on the fire extinguisher and have the fire department on speed dial, right? Not this guy! I have a Char-Broil TRU Infrared Grill. The infrared part means there is a shield between the heat and the meat so the heat is radiant rather than convection. This results in juicier meat as well as no flare ups. That metal shield keeps the bacon grease from dripping onto the flames. WINNING! If you want one of these grills, I can hook you up with a 15% discount from Char-Broil.com (just click on that link above) and enter in discount code: B15ST
If you don’t have a TRU Infrared grill, a cast iron pan will shield the fire from the bacon grease.
Now place the almond stuffed, bacon wrapped mushrooms on a 350 degree grill:
See, smoke but no fire:
The goal here is to brown the bacon on the top and bottom:
Ready to serve:
Let them cool before scarfing down these glorious apps. They will be lava hot. But how do they taste? In the end, you get the sweet from the brown sugar contrasting the savory of the bacon and the crunch from the almonds countering the sponginess of the mushrooms. All in all, an outstanding appetizer.
As usual, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below or send me an email.
- 12 baby bella mushrooms (the brown white cap mushrooms that vendors try to pretend are baby portabella mushrooms but are not ports at all) Substitute white button mushrooms
- 24 almonds
- 6 tsp brown sugar, divided
- 6 slices of bacon
- 12 toothpicks
- Brush the dirt off the mushrooms with a paper towel and remove the stems
- Stuff each mushroom with a half teaspoon of brown sugar and two almonds
- Slice the bacon in half and wrap each mushroom with a half slice of bacon and skewer with a toothpick
- Prepare the grill for medium heat (350 degrees) and direct grilling
- Place the almond stuffed, bacon wrapped mushrooms directly over the heat
- If you don't have a infrared grill, try using a cast iron pan to keep the grease from hitting the flames or hot fire
- Brown the bacon on both sides on the grill (about 15 minutes, total)
- Remove from the grill and allow the bacon wrapped mushrooms to rest and cool or risk 3rd degree burns on your tongue