I don’t know what it is about summer, but I find myself eating a lot more grilled seafood and drinking cool whites and ice cold beer. Maybe because seafood goes so well with those. Let’s face it, pinot grigio and steak don’t pair well together, but spicy cajun shrimp skewers with a buttery glaze, and hint of citrus pairs beautifully with an icy brew on the back deck enjoying the heat of the summer which is the only way to enjoy it other than in a pool!
Cajun Butter Lime Shrimp Ingredients:
10 shrimp, 6-8U (get the bigguns!)
2 tbsp Riley’s Cajun Seasoning
8 oz salted butter
1 tsp garlic, minced (not pictured)
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 4 limes
1/4 tsp of lime zest
Black and white pepper to taste (I did 5 turns of each pepper mill)
First, skewer the shrimp with the Fire Wire Double Prong Stainless Steel Skewer which makes flipping the shrimp (or whatever you use them for) really easy as a single skewer won’t always flip all the items that have been skewered.
Foolproof Tip: Place the shrimp on the skewers fat end on the left for the first one, on the right for the second, left for the third and so on so they grill evenly.
Then hit it with the Riley’s Cajun Seasoning:
Make sure to get a good coating on each side based on how you like it spicy food. The Riley’s Cajun Seasoning has some heat but also has fantastic flavor so proceed at whatever pace your taste buds can handle:
The shrimp on the left were made with a different rub. We’re always experimenting at GrillinFools.com!
Now that the cajun part is taken care of, time to move on to the butter lime portion of this grilling recipe.
Place two sticks of salted butter in a small pot and then roll your orange and limes. What do I mean by that? Place the citrus fruit on the counter and use your hand to give it a hard roll back and forth a few times to really mush up the inside which will yield more juice:
Then squeeze the juice of the orange and the 4 limes over the pot with the butter:
Add the garlic, black and white pepper, and turn the burner on to medium and bring to a boil while grating the lime zest into the butter:
Set the heat to low to keep the butter warm and prepare the grill for high heat/two zone grilling, in this case my Char-Broil TRU Infrared 4 burner badass grill! Set the burners on one side to high and the other to off.
Place the skewers right on a hot burner:
Leave the shrimp on the grill until it releases from the hot grates and browns the bottom and then flip over, approximately 5 minutes:
Then brush with the butter lime sauce:
Expect a good amount of smoke when you slather on the butter:
Once the other side of the grilled shrimp skewers have browned, flip, place on the side with no heat, in this case my upper rack, and hit with more butter lime sauce. Close the lid for a couple minutes to finish the grilling and then remove from the heat and plate with an ice cold beer:
Don’t forget that butter lime sauce. Two sticks of butter is a lot for 10 grilled shrimp, but that was by design. The rest is for dunking the grilled shrimps:
If you want an added kick of lime, squeeze a lime wedge over the shrimp as it comes off the grill.
If you have any questions about the Cajun Butter Lime Shrimp please feel free to comment below or shoot me an email.
For other grilled seafood recipes, click here.
- 10 shrimp, 6-8U (get the bigguns!)
- 2 tbsp Riley's Cajun Seasoning
- 8 oz salted butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced (not pictured)
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 4 limes
- ¼ tsp of lime zest
- Black and white pepper to taste (I did 5 turns of each pepper mill)
- Place the shrimp on the skewers and dust with the Riley's Cajun Seasoning
- Put the butter, garlic, orange juice, lime juice, zest and pepper in a small pot and bring to a boil
- Set the burner to low and prepare the grill for two zone/high heat grilling with one side of the grill uber hot and the other with no heat
- Place the shrimp skewers on the hot side of the grill and allow to brown, about f5 minutes
- Flip over the skewers and brush the browned side with the butter lime sauce
- When the other side is browned, flip over and place on side with no heat and brush with another coating of butter lime sauce
- Close the lid for two minutes and then remove from heat and plate