I know, I know. I’m addicted to the adobo. The chipotle flavor has a grip on me that I just can’t shake. I love high heat, but it has to have flavor too. If it’s just heat for heat, then that’s a waste. But this, like jerk, is so my speed. And thus, I give you Grouper Adobo.
Grouper Adobo Ingredients:
2 grouper filets, about 6 ounces each
1 tbsp adobo sauce
Juice of one half orange
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp of your favorite BBQ rub
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp coarse
I realize there is only one grouper filet there, but it was all I had left. There will be plenty marinade for two.
Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl to create the adobo marinade:
Then put the grouper in a plastic bag with the marinade:
Marinate for 1 to 4 hours
Prepare the grill for high heat and use a grill pan. Grouper isn’t flaky like a roughy but it’s not meaty like a swordfish. It’s somewhere in between, which means it can fall apart on the grill so use the grill pan:
Remove the fish from the bag, but do not wash off the adobo marinade, and put the grouper on the grill pan right over the hot coals:
After 4-5 minutes, the filet browned nicely. Flip over:
Once it is browned on the other side, firm and cooked through, remove from the grill and plate:
The grouper is light but meaty at the same time, with a nice bit of heat from the adobo and a little sweet and tart from the orange juice. It is yet another weapon in my adobo craving arsenal.
If you have any questions about the above dish please feel free to comment below or shoot me an email.
For other seafood recipes, click here.
- 2 grouper filets, about 6 ounces each
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- Juice of one half orange
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp of your favorite BBQ rub
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse
- Combine all the ingredients in a resealable plastic bag and place in the fridge for 2-12 hours
- Remove from the bag and prepare the grill for high heat grilling
- Place a grill pan over the coals and allow to get hot
- Put the grouper adobo on the grill pan and sear for 4-5 minutes on each side
- Once it is browned nicely on both sides, remove from the grill and serve